Saturday, December 28, 2013

Now that I have…


     Now that I have a little time to take a breath and a short break from packing up and getting ready for my major, life-changing move to Florida, I thought I would sit down and catch y’all up on what’s shakin’ here. 
Just 'cause I thought he was pretty.
     I had intended to carry on with explaining some of the books I listed the last time I posted on here, but I had somewhat of a revelation yesterday. Yes, I’m afraid more mad ramblings are coming. Who knows where this is going to end up? I’ll try and get back to the why on the book list. Wish me luck. 

     Anyway, here are some of the things that have been running rampant through my mind this week. One, I’m going to be working on an old project as soon as this move is over. I know, some of you are not going to like this, but the next book about Rich and Johnny is going to be put on hold for a bit. Don’t worry, I’ll get back to it, but I have something I started over a year ago that I really want to get back to, and yesterday I had a spark, well, more like an explosion in my head, to return and get it done. This is something I've wanted to do, but I kinda ran out of steam with it. 

     The thing about going back to it is that I've learned so much in the last year, thanks to so many good writers and great betas. I’m glad I didn't finish it as I looked at it again. When I went back and read it again, I saw where I will change things, cut things and really pull it all together. Put a good polish on it, which is only going to make it better. 

     I’m not going to say too much more about it, but I will say it brings two of my greatest passions together. 
     Okay, now back to my book list. Where did I leave off…? 

     Maurice by E. M. Forester. Damn, what can I say? I found this book quite by accident. I think I was about twelve when I read it. It was a very confusing time for me. It is hard to come to terms with your sexuality when everyone and everything around you is telling you that you are wrong. Bad. Evil. Going to hell. This book actually grounded me somehow. Made me feel like I wasn't alone and that I wasn't quite so different somehow. Very narrative, which was the style of the day, but he painted such vivid pictures for me. Loved it. Still have a copy to this day. 


     When ‘The Lord Won’t Mind’, by Gordon Merrick came out, I couldn't wait to read it. I had to wait almost six years to be able to, however. Why? Well because I couldn't find a copy in the small town I grew up in. Why? Are you kidding? A book about homosexual love? Like that was ever going to happen. I remember the drug store close to my house always carried the top ten best sellers on the New York Times list… all but THAT one. It was, as far as I know, the first gay romance book to ever hit the number one spot on that list. I think that was the first contemporary M/M romance book I ever read. I was a fan from then on. I read everything Gordon Merrick wrote after that. 

     Armistead Maupin. What is there to say about this guy? If you've never picked up any of his books, you have missed out, big time! His ‘Tales of the City’ series is so wonderful I can’t help but want to jump right into them all over again. It is such a true accounting of what it was like to be gay in the 80’s. They are cute, funny, emotional, stock full of characters you fall in love with; you can’t help but connect with them. They also made a TV series out of this series of books. Very controversial at the time, also worth checking out, but I’d read the books first. 


     Okay, now for those of you who tend to like the BDSM world, listen up. Some of you are going to laugh your asses off, but this is all true. Too weird to have been made up. Amy Vanderbilt’s book of Etiquette. Of course my mother used that other etiquette book and although she taught me many things from that one, she never made me sit down and read it either. Mrs. Vanderbilt’s however, I was made to read. By whom, you may ask? Sir Paul, one of the elite leaders in the gay male leather community here in Atlanta, circa 1979. This harkens back to the era where EVERYONE started off on the bottom and worked their way up. You were taught by doing from the submissive side. No ifs ands or buts about it. You didn't want to do it, then fine, be on your way. Just don’t expect to be welcomed into that very exclusive, secretive community. 

     Yes, the big bad Leather Dom made me sit and read Amy Vanderbilt’s book of Etiquette from cover to cover and then would test me on the damn thing. That was how he started ‘training’ newbies. Some of you may wonder what the hell does that have to do with leather or anything about the BDSM community and I’m here to tell you, a whole hellova lot! Anyone who knows leather protocols can read that book and know exactly what I’m talking about. It relates directly to Old School training (I still hate Guy Baldwin for inventing the term ‘Old Guard’. The pansexual community has taken it and twisted it into something vile, if you ask me.) Anyway, there is a lot to be garnered from that book, leather or not. 


     The last book I want to mention is Anthony Bordain’s Kitchen Confidential. If you ever wanted to know what it is like to cook professionally, or want to know what goes on in a commercial kitchen, then you need to read this book. It is sooooo true. 

     Sorry I missed doing the blog last week, but I've been a bit occupied with getting this move underway. It is one thing to move across town, but entirely something when you move several hundred miles away. It isn't like you can just go back and forth until you have everything. Then you have to get all the vet records, doctors records, insurance stuff transferred, and the list seems to go on and on. Such a pain. But the pay-off is going to be fantastic. I am so excited I can hardly stand myself! 

     I am not sure if I will be able to do a blog next week or not. I’m not counting on it since next Friday is the official move day. I will have a lot going on next weekend, so I may not make it. If not, happy New Year, everyone. Be safe. 
If you don't know by now, I love Gio Dell. He inspires me every day.
     Again, try and do something nice for someone. It really isn't painful. Trust me. 

     Later y’all, 

      Max ;-)






3 comments:

  1. Great blog as Always Love the inside on your book list
    And Ooh excited about the new (old) project cannot wait!!
    Good luck with finalizing the move And all the best for the new year my friend Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post Max! I look forward to kitchen sex! Have a safe move and don't stress about the blog. We will wait patiently for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Max!

    In reading this post I was struck by some of the similarities in our early reading. Indeed, my first M/M novel experience was also a Gordon Merrick book. I started with Now Let's Talk About Music and worked my way backward. In fact, several of those paperbacks, purchased in the early 80's, sit on my bookshelf to this day.

    I vividly remember repeatedly making my way to the local mall bookstore where I'd attempt to nonchalantly browse the salacious and alluring selection of his titles. It would take several trips—and countless hours of rather tormented indecision—before I'd finally work up the courage to actually purchase one. And, once I had made the purchase, I was convinced I'd be found out. So much so that my first treasure remained secretly stashed beneath the bottom drawer of my nightstand—for weeks! Late in the night, after I was certain the house was asleep, I'd quietly remove it, conceal it in the folds of my robe, and steal myself away to the safety of a locked bathroom where I'd quietly—reverently—stare at the cover. Wow, it truly was a lifetime ago.

    To think I now write M/M erotic fiction...well, it's one of those full-circles events in life, ya know?

    Anywho, many thanks for the memories and safe travels!

    Warmly,
    JLT

    ReplyDelete